An informal meeting of the Ward 8 Parent Involvement Advisory Committee was held on October 1, 2018. Among the issues discussed, please note the following important dates:
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 18
We have lined up a venue for a Ward 8 School Trustee Candidates’ Debate at Lawrence Park Library to be held in advance of the upcoming municipal election. It will take the format of prepared candidate statements, followed by a moderated Q&A session. Please attend to hear what your trustee candidates have to say about issues of importance to the Allenby community.
We need your support to ensure the Ward voter community gets early and adequate information about it to encourage attendance. Please assist us in getting this poster out through all appropriate channels (email, posters in school/neighbourhood, social media etc.) to your community and/or school.
If you have any questions, please feel free to email Jess Hungate or call 416-822-8513 (PIAC Rep for the current Ward 8).
SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 17
PIAC’s 12th Annual Parent Conference is coming to Earl Haig Secondary School on Saturday, November 17. Details to follow.
OTHER ITEMS DISCUSSED:
- The Toronto District School Board has undergone some changes, including a change in superintendents. The new superintendent for Ward 8 is Kathleen Garner.
- The proposed new fundraising policy (which would redistribute funds across different schools) has been delayed.
- PRO Grants appear to be in limbo. These grants were previously available to school councils for specific projects. The lack of activity appears to be linked to the audit of government expenses currently being carried out at the direction of the Ford government.
- Various ideas for fundraising events were exchanged among the parents who attended the meeting.
- We also discussed how to improve communicating issues of common concern among the Ward 8 schools.
Despite the fact that the Ward has now become bigger, the plan is to continue these informal meetings on an ongoing basis. These meetings provide a forum for parents from different schools to get together and exchange ideas. Details of future meetings will be published in the Allenby newsletter as they become available. For further information, please contact Allenby Ward 8 Coordinator, Stephanie Chong.