How the submission process works
- Send your submission to the APA newsletter coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The coordinator formats and sends a draft of the newsletter to the chairs for approval.
- The newsletter is sent by email each Friday (except when a PD day or holiday falls on a Friday, in which case the newsletter will be sent out on Thursday). See below for submission deadlines.
What content is appropriate?
- The Allenby Updates contain information of interest to Allenby parents, about things going on at Allenby.
- If your information includes a topic that has been sent in a previous newsletter (e.g. pizza lunch, lice check, APA meeting information and agenda, fun fair, big night out, lip synch, registration forms, Eco-school, intramurals, After 4 program, Parking, etc.) then you know the content is acceptable.
- If your subject is something new, then the APA chairs will determine if it is appropriate in the draft stage.
What do I need to send?
- The newsletter coordinator requires a written “blurb” for the newsletter, as well as any attachments (such as registration forms).
- Since the newsletter coordinator cuts and pastes the “blurb” into a preformatted box, do not waste time making your blurb look eye-catching with special fonts, colours or sizes. She will be the only one who will see your gorgeous formatting.
- If you have a picture (like the Allenby Fun Fair logo) that you’d like to include, attach it to your email. (.JPG, .PNG or .GIF format please)
- Word (.doc or .docx), PDF, or text are all acceptable formats for attachments.
- If the newsletter coordinator does not receive everything (blurb and any attachments) by the deadline, your information may not be in that week’s newsletter.
- If the newsletter coordinator has any questions or finds a typo that she can’t make sense of on her own, she will email you as soon as possible. If she does not hear back from you by the deadline, and can’t figure out what to do, she may decide not to include your information that week.
- If you know you will have something to go in the newsletter and know you cannot make the deadline, please contact the newsletter coordinator. She can usually accommodate if she knows ahead of time (especially if your content is pre-approved).
- Wednesday noon – Newsletter coordinator must receive all necessary information
- Thursday 6 pm – Newsletter coordinator sends draft to APA chairs for approval
- Friday 10:30 am – Newsletter is sent
If the APA newsletter will be sent on Thursday rather than Friday due to a holiday or PD day, the deadlines above will fall one day earlier (e.g. the Newsletter coordinator must receive all necessary information by Tuesday noon).
- Most of the APA newsletter information gets posted on the APA website as well. If you would prefer that your submission not be posted to the website, or want it to be different from the newsletter “blurb,” please advise the website coordinator and supply her with the alternative content.
- If you find mistakes on the APA website please let the website coordinator know at email@example.com.
- Note that school news (from the office) does not usually go on the APA website. School news will appear on the school website at schoolweb.tdsb.on.ca/allenby